Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Thumb Blog

An Aggie joke goes like this. There was this Aggie who was trapped on some moving stairs for three hours when the power went off.

This is not a slur on Aggies. I use it to make a point. With technology rampant we some times forget how we used to do things before the high tech toys took over.

There is no Wifi at my Rochester apartments nor a working phone line nor cable modem. I can catch an unlocked wifi signal that is very weak at odd times for a few minutes. I think it is when the owner of "rat cave" (a network I can patch into) has his or her computer on. It is unreliable even when I get a signal.

There is a windows based PC in the recreation room to surf the internet but it is usually occupied. Besides using a PC is like eating peas with a knife for a Mac guy.

So when my Blackberry was receiving email but not sending yesterday, I felt cut off from the world. I needed to respond to an associate and was thwarted.

I re installed the soft wear, reactivated the email account, even called Verizon tech support but nothing worked. No out going email. I even looked up a Verizon store on my mobile Google map and contemplated driving over to enlist the aid of a human.

I needed to respond to the email and was really getting frustrated. That is when I saw a phone number at the bottom of his note. When the cursor touched the number it lit up and a dialogue box asked if I wanted to call. I pressed a button and in a few seconds I was actually talking to my associate.

What a concept, talking. It took less than a minute to solve the crisis.

I am afraid we will some day forget we can add numbers if the calculator is out of batteries.

I know this has got nothing to do with Rochester or the show.... But this is my day off.

As you were,
Jay
www.monkeyjoke.com

2 comments:

Linda said...

point well taken.

I don't know why I prefer to text or email when I can easily pick up the phone.

When the internet is down, I start to freak and think about where I can take my laptop and find a signal.

BTW - see ya soon, lol!

Anonymous said...

Aggie jokes!!! Hmm!!! Did not know you were a Longhorn lover.....lol. - Aaron