Monday, March 02, 2009

Phalashes
Today is the Sixty-Sixth Wedding anniversary of my parents. This is no small feat since twenty of those years were spent trying to raise me. I only mention the twenty years I was living with them, they continue to try and raise me even today. I am a very slow learner with AADD. They offer no secret to the success of their marriage other than their sense of love. They both were very young when they got married, Dad's mother was not really in favor of the relationship. There wasn't much seed money for them to start out. However, the two of them raised three great kids, if I do say so myself, and ran a multimillion dollar business between the two of them. They keep talking about how times have changed with the influence of the computer and instant communication. I guess some things definitely have. The requirements to keep a marriage together with love and understanding have not. E-Harmony surveys not withstanding I don't think the Internet has helped us to keep marriages together. The divorce rate here in California hovers around 54%. It is just much tougher to make it work, or as a society we just don't know how anymore. Here is a toast to Mom and Dad. An absolute American success story on most every level.

I read an article in the LA Times about the 420 maximum security prisoners that are housed in a supermax facility here in California. They are the worst of the worst offenders of society. For good behavior some of the inmates are rewarded with television. Even then they are individually locked in small glass booths that look like something out of Silence of the Lambs or maybe over sized phone booths. The article stated that one of their favorite shows is "Rachael Ray". Okay so I am not a fan of Rachael, you make up your own joke. For me being placed in a glass booth with a television tuned to the Rachel Ray Show would be the text book definition of "cruel and unusual punishment".

Have a good Monday,
As you were,
Jay

No comments: